The estimator will be responsible for developing the bid for assigned commercial projects. The projects will be a combination of hard bids, negotiated bids and design/build bids.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Evaluates drawings and specifications for assigned project bids
- Communicates, solicits and networks with sub-contractors in various trades to obtain pricing for projects
- Attends pre-bid meetings and site visits to assess the conditions of the site or existing building, as necessary
- Requests and receives subcontractor bids
- Interacts with bidders for final overview and guarantees comprehensiveness of bid prior to an estimate, bid or guaranteed maximum price (GMP)
- Reviews drawings and other required documents for Preconstruction Projects to calculate budgets from preliminary through final construction documents as assigned
- Communicates with team members, lead estimator and others as required to convene scopes, pricing, construction details, etc.
- Assists the project manager in the buy-out process.
- Assists the lead estimator in maintaining square foot cost, project data, etc.
- Maintains adequate estimating schedule
- Coordinates hand-off meetings when the bid is awarded to Speedwell Construction
- Develops an understanding for the building process and distinct types of exterior and interior finishing systems
- Grows in the ability to understand different trades required to estimate and construct a building
- Aptitude to move from project to project in a timely manner while gaining an understanding of the scope of work for each plan
- Attends start-up meeting with Estimators, Project Manager and Superintendents
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Technology, Architecture or similar field of study
- 5 or more years of experience in estimating
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with contractors and fellow employees
- Working knowledge of Office 365, including Excel, Word and Outlook; bid software such as Smartbid; and project management software, preferably Viewpoint
- Understands various building construction types including structural systems, building skin and exteriors systems, various finishes, and mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems
- Understands the basics of construction management, architecture and engineering
- Understands different trades required to estimate and construct a building
- Ability to work additional hours as necessary to meet business plan objectives