Position: Project Engineer
Status: Full Time Salary
Reports to: Project Manager
Summary of Position:
The Project Engineer is responsible for assisting the project team with the daily management, supervision, coordination, and successful completion of the project(s) to meet time and cost objectives with respect to contracting, scheduling, estimating, bidding, and contract administration. Their duties will be focused on multiple tasks and growing their general knowledge of construction practices, processes, software, and overall construction knowledge.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintain good relationships with the Owner, Architect, Engineers, subcontractors, suppliers, municipal authorities and Company personnel involved with the project.
· Participate in organizations that serve to promote the interests of the Company.
· Represent the Company at all times in such a manner as will enhance the reputation of the firm.
· Promote the growth and development of Client and Designer relationships.
· Maintain positive working relationship with Client and Architect and/or Engineer contacts to facilitate successful project execution.
· Communicate any new project opportunities to the Project Manager and Business Development.
· Understands the importance of interacting with Owners with positive results.
· Understands the importance of interacting with Architect/Engineer’s with positive results.
· Understands the importance of interacting with subcontractors with positive results.
· Work with the Project Manager, Superintendent and Company Safety Manager to develop, implement, maintain, and enforce the Project Specific Safety Plan (“PSSP”).
· Conduct monthly documented safety reviews of current project safety conditions, share results with, and recommend any course of action to the Project Manager and Superintendent.
· Work with the Project Manager, Superintendent and Safety Manager to update the PSSP in anticipation of evolving project hazards.
· Immediately communicate any jobsite crisis to the Project Manager, President, and Company Safety Manager.
· Exhibit personal behavior that demonstrates commitment to returning all workers home safely each and every day.
Contracts & Risk:
· Secure properly executed Subcontract and Purchase Order Agreements, insurance certificates, bonds and other documents as required and in a timely fashion, protecting the interests of the Company.
· Prepare change proposals, negotiate change orders, execute change orders (at Project Managers approval), issue change orders to subcontractors and others (at Project Managers approval) and prepare revisions to the master cost breakdown as a result of change orders and management revisions with direction of Project Manager.
· Document potential schedule delays and promptly notify supervision to submit request for extension of time and/or additional costs as per terms of the Contract.
· Keep the Project Manager fully informed in a timely fashion with regard to any and all problem areas on the project.
· Read and understand the critical Owner & Contractor Contract terms and conditions.
· Compile contract closeout documentation.
· Solicit and obtain bids from subcontractors and material suppliers for change orders.
· Actively participate and/or lead post-bid, buyout, O/A/C, coordination, subcontractor, staff, and scheduling and meetings.
· Promote the growth and development of subcontractor and vendor relationships through positive interaction.
· Assist in verifying original quantities using model-based takeoff.
· Assist in developing the modeling schedule for project(s).
· Assist in developing model based 4D schedules.
· Assist in developing site logistics plans and models.
· Assist the Superintendent and Project Manager with the overall plan for construction of the project.
· Assist with preparing the job start-up and close-out checklists.
· Update the schedule as required by the Contract or as directed by the Project Manager.
· Prepare, expedite, and monitor logs for tracking shop drawings, contract documents, submittals, requests for information, change orders, material delivery logs and other as determined necessary for a successful project.
· At the direction of the Superintendent, monitor and expedite the delivery of materials.
· Assist the Superintendent to ensure that the project is constructed in accordance with the contract requirements and specifications and with the required quality.
· Possess working knowledge of all project plans, specifications, Owner & Contractor Agreements, Subcontracts, Purchase Orders, daily correspondence, shop drawings, submittals, and all other project related documents, and compile a complete and accurate set of as-built documents.
· Actively participate on internal team(s) that focus on continuous improvement of the business.
· Take an active role in the Personal Development Plan process to develop a plan towards a successful career with the Company.
· Be familiar with all policies and processes as it relates to this position.
· Understand and assist in the implementation of project objectives, policies, procedures and performance standards.
· Contribute to the maintenance of a consistent sense of urgency with the Speedwell Construction project team and extended subcontractor/supplier team in order to stay on or ahead of schedule throughout the project.
· Set up and maintain digital document sets including hyperlinked drawing packages for internal and external use.
· Create models including structure, interior and exterior architectural elements and MEP systems (as applicable).
· Coordinate with BIM service providers and subcontractor detailers and modelers (as applicable).
· Facilitate the spatial/clash coordination of internal and external models (as applicable).
· Assist in the preparation of the Contract Schedule of Values for billing with the accounting department.
· Assist the Project Manager with the preparation of the initial phase code entry.
· Assist in expediting payment from the Owner and expedite prompt processing of invoices and prompt payment through to subcontractors and suppliers for amounts due to them.
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience:
· Preferred four (4) year degree in a construction related curriculum.
· Experience with Construction software a plus.
· Experience with construction related software (i.e. BlueBeam, Viewpoint, Revit, Navisworks, Tekla BIMsight(Example), Primavera or Microsoft Project) preferred.
· OSHA 10 Hour certification.
· Is capable of driving long distances to visit project sites and is capable of walking project sites, including the demands of ladders, uneven terrain, and other outdoor challenges of weather.
· 90% office environment.
· 10% field office environment.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite of software (Outlook, Word & Excel).
· A working knowledge of BIM is preferred.